Estabilished practice (was: Re: Two Macedonias)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, florian klinglmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:21:57PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > On 2004-09-24 15:41:54 +0100 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> > >Following others in the area of geographical names helps to avoid
> > >conflicts.  It's not Debian's task to take side in such international
> > >disputes.
> >
> > Should we follow the Republic of Macedonia, the EU foreign ministers,
> > ISO or someone else? Unless we've a previously published decision, it
> > probably will be interpreted as taking sides. Do we have one?

The estabilished practice is that we follow ISO if it is a Debian matter
(e.g. installer), and upstream otherwise.  The Taiwan trouble that caused
Herbert Xu to resign made that quite clear IMHO.

Debian maintainers can override this at their own risk, for their packages,
I think.  IMHO, that is asking for trouble, since sooner or later you will
get dragged into a flamewar over it.

  Henrique Holschuh