Re: non-secret discussion on debian-project!

On 23-09-2004 19:30, Richard A. Hecker wrote:
| On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:53:39PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
|
|>Thank you for not abusing our secret mailinglist for irrelevant stuff
|>like pointing fingers at (cute?) attempts to follow our Social Contract.
|>
|>Feel free to quote my parts of this email in public!
|>
|>I see nothing secret in any of this email, and thus encourage responses
|>to be targeted debian-project instead of this secret list.
|>

| Obviously, debian-private contains many messages that have no secret
| content.  This message was another example of this fact.

I unlocked it from its default secret status.

| It is wrong for a person to equate d-private == secret_content.

Somewhat true. The problem is that emails not explicitly declared
differently must be kept secret.

We are lazy so we do not subscribe to additional lists but rely on
debian-private where we got subscribed by default. We are lazy and just
want to get hold of "the developers" so we use debian-private. We are
lazy and do not declare each and every time content posted to
debian-private is allowed quoted elsewere.

What I see is a practical situation of laziness. I also see a practical
solution:

~ * Subscribe all developers by default to debian-project.
~ * For each mail posted to debian-private require a one-line explanation
of why it should be treated as a secret (and if only for a while then
what would trigger release of the secrecy-lock).

The one-line explanation is similar to the current use of urgency=high
for packages: A short explanation is required, to show that you didn't
set the flag by accident or without reflecting.

| If a concensus developed about the rules, I think we would
| see less bickering on d-private.  I doubt if we could eliminate it all,
| because flamage was created in our geek community ;-)

I am _not_ talking about noise. Flamage or not, we should not keep
things secret unless really really necessary.

I am trying to avoid unnecessary secrets. Please do not mix that with
avoiding noise!

~ - Jonas

- --

~ - Enden er nær: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm