Re: Two Macedonias

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 03:45:50AM +0200, siward wrote:
> Hi all,
> I think Debian has only 2 choices here :
>   1) use the names 'Republic Macedonia' and 'Macedonia'.
>   2) use the names 'Republic Macedonia' and 'Greek Macedonia'.

I don't see a reason for Debian to use any name at all for the Greek
province of Macedonia.  From Debian's standpoint, there is no namespace
collision here; Debian's locale system generally only needs to know
about top-level, autonomous territories.

There are still reasons why we may want to avoid the name "Macedonia"
for _MK locales, but these are subtle political reasons, not simple
namespace collisions.  No one feels the need to disambiguate the former
Soviet republic Georgia from the US state Georgia, for instance.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer