Re: Patent clauses in licenses

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:18:37PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Andrew Suffield:
>
> > Termination for non-compliance, in a publically redistributed work, is
> > just a reflection of copyright law; it doesn't really change what you
> > can and can't do.
>
> We now have a (lower) German court ruling that this isn't the case,
> i.e. that the termination clause is effective and you can't just get
> another copy of the same work. It's rather surprising because it
> conflicts with our equivalent of the first-sale doctrine

Yes, this is in conflict with basic notions of copyright in most of
the world; I would hope that it gets overturned. It can only lead to
insanity unless the conflict is corrected - and doing so by adjusting
copyright law to fit would finally create a society where Stallman's
"right to read" essay has been fulfilled.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |