Re: licensing arrangement in Debian

[NB: I'm taking the liberty of Cc:'ing you, as you're probably not
subscribed. If you want to receive replies to a mailing list, it's
customary to set Mail-Followup-To: appropriately, or indicate that
fact.]

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, sv8000@sol.dk wrote:
> I am doing some research for an article on Open Source Software. I
> have been looking at your website, but I am a bit confused about the
> Debian licensing arrangement.
>
> My question is what is the name of the license the project rests
> upon - is it Open Publication License?

Debian has code that is licensed under many different licenses, from
the ASL to the GPL to the LGPL and many more. For almost every
component, you can see the license by reading
/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/copyright or visiting
http://packages.debian.org/<packagename> and clicking on the copyright
link near the bottom.

All of the works that are present in Debian must comply with the
Debian Free Software Guidelines which are delineated here:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

If this doesn't answer your question, feel free to e-mail -project
again, or ask me directly.

Don Armstrong

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars
has to be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu