just wondering

hi i have been trying to get another os for months now.. I would like to use somehing besides windows...I have neve seen any other though. what is linux like. I have tryed to install every one that is out there for free and have failed.. don't know enough about it i guess. i did buy a red hat and it would not install either ...is there a place to get a system that will install  it self .. and does it work the same as windows I mean will it operate all of my hardware like scanners cameras stuff that we use all the time..word processers.. thanks for your time s simms