[HWDB] The BOF yesterday and followup

[This mail is intended for people interested in the Debian Hardware
Database project.]

Hi,

the BOF yesterday at DebConf4 collected some different ideas about the
approach we should follow now. On the one hand side, there is the idea
of providing a manually (also community) feeded database providing
information for end users regarding support of certain hardware devices.

On the other hand side there is the idea of the developers of the
different automated hardware detection tools (like discover) to
integrate collected data into a central hardware database.

Maybe you will have even more suggestions.

At first, we will try to integrate those approaches into one
implementation since there are many proponents of those ideas on "both
sides" and integrating them in the first place looks like a good idea
since the collected data overlaps.

An alioth project[1] is already set up. Feel free to subscribe[2] to the
mailing list[3]. I will integrate what I have so far on an appropriate
page and in a subversion repository as soon as it is set up. Tell me if
you want to be added to the developer's list.

Thanks for your participation.

bye,
  Roland

[1] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/hwdb/