Re: feel like to get the permission of yours

On Thursday 20 May 2004 08.44, Andy鄭金忠 wrote:
> Hello~
>      We are the team for Linuxcenter.( http://www.linuxcenter.com.tw
> <http://www.linuxcenter.com.tw/> ) Our goal is like other communities
> to promote Linux and Open Source.  Now, most of customers are in
> great China zone. They feel like to touch news and hot software in
> the rest of world.
>
> We wonder could it be possible to kindly get your permission to
> translate news or provide software of yours?

Hi,

As you certainly know, Debian GNU/Linux is free software - so you need
no permission to distribute Debian.  To publicly show your support of
the Debian volounteer effort, you could, for example, donate some money
for each sold item, or you could allow people to donate through your
web site. If you're interested, contact this mailing list again, I'm
sure the relevant people are listening and will be able to advise you
on how to set this up.

As to translation: if you do want to do translation work, please
coordinate with the translation team of Debian and donate your
translations back to the project, so everybody can benefit from it. As
you've certainly seen, quite a bit of the Debian web pages, for
example, has already been translated to your language.
 - generally, you should look at <http://www.debian.org/devel/join/> for
information on how to help Debian
 - if you want to help translating the Debian web pages, please contact
the <mailto:debian-www@lists.debian.org> mailing list and read
<http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translating>.
 - if you want to help translating other documentation,
<http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp> (or
<http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp.zh-tw.html> in chinese) would be a good
starting point. You may also want to contact the
<mailto:debian-doc@lists.debian.org> mailing list.
 - Another good starting point might be the chinese translation project
on <http://alioth.debian.org/projects/chinese/>, there is a mailing
list on <mailto:chinese-developers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, though it
doesn't seem to be very active.
 - generally, the people on <mailto:debian-i18n@lists.debian.org> deal
with translations. Also of interest may be the Chinese Debian user's
mailing lists, <mailto:debian-chinese-big5@lists.debian.org> and
<mailto:debian-chinese-gb@lists.debian.org>.

A general comment: if you do want to contact Debian at one of the
addresses mentioned above, please be aware that they are all mailing
lists. It is considered polite to search the mailing list archive at
<http://lists.debian.org> for previous discussions of topics you may
want to bring up. Also, please consider subscribing to the mailing
lists and expect to read answers you get on the mailing list and not
just emailed back to you directly. Most of the communication within
Debian is done on the mailing lists, so if you want to help with
translations, you should really subscribe to the relevant mailing lists
so that you will be informed about what's happening in Debian.

With friendly greetings
- -- vbi

(Hmmm. Are you serious about promoting Linux?
)

- --
No matter how much data you add to your laptop, it will not get heavier.