Re: On the uselessness of Debian trademarks.

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:20:37AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * MJ Ray (mjr@dsl.pipex.com) wrote:
> > On 2004-05-07 07:31:27 +0100 Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> wrote:
> > >With the Debian trademark we want use that is almost entirely
> > >unenforced
> > >except for a few particular (and somewhat poorly defined) situations.
> >
> > The only well-defined situation I can see at the moment is when
> > someone attempts to claim debian association, backing or endorsement
> > fraudulently. I believe that is covered adequately by other laws
> > everywhere where we could enforce it. Is that correct?
>
> Uh, or they use the Debian trademark for something that's not Debian at
> all..  That's not necessairly claiming it as backing or endorsement from
> Debian.

Well, our Open Use logo was already appropriated (years ago) by a
website called "Mujahedeen News" for representing their section on
Chechnya...

They didn't even rename the image.  The filename had "debian" in it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Ambition: an overmastering desire
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    to be vilified by enemies while