Re: On the uselessness of Debian trademarks.

Stephen Frost writes:

> * MJ Ray (mjr@dsl.pipex.com) wrote:
>
>> Not only is it not very Debian, but accurate use of the Debian mark to
>> refer to our Debian doesn't look like something we can stop with
>> trademarking in the UK:
>
> I don't get it.  Doesn't this mean, also, that in the UK people *could*
> sell shirts with the Coke logo on them?  In which case it would seem to
> me that the reasons above for having a trademark in the UK would be
> perfectly legit and very reasonable and enforceable, and their intended
> use?

I doubt it -- selling shirts would be a commercial purpose outside
"identifying goods or services as those of the proprietor or a
licensee."

I do not think it would even be safe to sell shirts that say "Buy your
Coke at Joe's Convenience Mart." Since you see income from selling the
shirts, it could be argued as using the mark in commerce.

Michael Poole