RE: Please Join SPI (was Re: The Sky is Not Falling)

Okay, fair enough.  It makes sense then that Debian Inc. (aka SPI) needs to
exist.

What does not make sense to me is why every single Debian developer needs to
be a formal member of that legal entity.

Let me explain what I mean.  I am a member of the Debian Project, I am a
Debian developer.

I am not the DPL.  I entrust that leadership role to Martin.
I am not the release manager.  I entrust that role to Anthony.
I am not an ftp master.  I entrust that role to Michael and the others.
I am not the DAM, I entrust that role to James.
I am not on the security team. I entrust that role to Martin and others.

There may be a variety of reasons why I take on none of these these (though
I could choose to be a part of any of them), a mixture of time, interest and
competency. I do what I can to make Debian and the world a better place.

So why suddenly is SPI, the Debian legal corporation, such a different
matter?  Why is it that you are telling me *I* must be a part of SPI myself,
rather than entrusting it to those who can manage it, as I do for every
other part of Debian? What makes SPI any more important than any other of
Debian's facets or activities?

Drew
dparsons@debian.org

DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this
message in error. Thank you.