Re: Rewriting GFDL docs - where to start from?

Frank writes:
> I was wondering whether we could start to rewrite the manual for GNU
> Emacs, starting with a) the old manual, prior to GFDL and b) GPL'ed
> docstrings in the source. However, it was pointed out that the old
> license of the manual, before it was put under GFDL, is also problematic
> with respect to the DFSG. I am asking:

> What is this license? Where can it be found? Is it also problematic with
> respect to GPL-compatibility?

On my Woody system I have an Emacs manual that contains this:

   This is the thirteenth edition of the `GNU Emacs Manual', updated for
   Emacs version 20.7.
   Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
   manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided also that the
   sections entitled "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU General
   Public License" are included exactly as in the original, and provided
   that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of
   a permission notice identical to this one.

--
John Hasler