Re: Google ads on debian.org

* Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> [041214 14:32]:

> Funny, do you have examples of where the gloom-and-doom scenario has
> happened to an open source project?

Once there was a GPLed game called "tuxracer".  One guy told the
authors, how good their work was, and that they could sell it.  The did,
leading to the situation where some free spinoffs aren't developed any
further.

Would you like an other example?  One with more impact to more users?
How about Mozilla?  They need money to pay many of their developers.
And they do things, which they should not do.  Perhaps you have heard
from the Firefox Ebay "scandal" here in germany recently?

No, I'm sure, we won't do such things tomorrow.  But perhaps the day
after tomorrow?  What happens, if the Firefox maintainers decides, that
Google shouldn't be the primary search enginge of this browser (e.g.
because a better search engine has been founded)?  What if
Google doesn't like this, and thinks about cancelling their ads?  What
if we think, we "need" their money?  Be it to pay our traffic, or be it,
because we got common in having money to fly DDs to DebConf, or whatever
reason?

Please tell me, that no such things will ever happen.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander