Re: About the broken jigdos and gluck's load

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:02:45PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> [ Note CC: and Reply-To: to d-project ]
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:25:03PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Colin Watson wrote:
> >>
> >Ok, so do we have a better idea of a good machine to use for CD builds? Or
> >should we just keep on using gluck, despite it being rather slow?
>
> Gluck currently looks to be too slow to be at all useful; see Manty's
> earlier mail. The easiest way to get CD/DVD builds done may be to move
> them off to separate machine(s) altogether.

What do you need - is a P4 1.6GHz with about 200G of disk enough.
Connectivity is 512 up / 3M download (I think) and, in a separate
message to stevem, I've asked how to set up a full Debian mirror.

Machine is one of mine housed at home: can be on 365*24*7 if need be.

> To do builds in an acceptable time needs a reasonable-spec machine,
> ideally with fast disks. Disk performance falls through the floor as
> more people start using the same spindles, so we're much better off if
> we can get a dedicated machine or, failing that, a dedicated set of
> disks for the mirror and build space.

HTH,

Andy