Re: Patent clauses in licenses

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:07:28PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> The GPL rejects users who want to distribute binaries without source.
>> The MPL rejects users who want to sue the licensor for infringement of
>> patents connected to the software. Why do you believe that one of these
>> cases is significantly different to the other?
>
> We've been over this already. One is a significant burden, the other
> is not. This has got nothing to do with the point I raised, so I
> presume that you concede it.

The entire point of the discussion is to determine whether one is a
significant burden or not. Many people have expressed the view that the
right of people to sue a licensor for infringement of patents connected
to the software is insignificant compared to the damage that that right
can cause. Simply dismissing this with a toss of your doubtless golden
and flowing hair doesn't actually make those people's opinions go away.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org