Re: Patent clauses in licenses

On 2004-09-14 19:32:58 +0100 Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

Both groups list significant numbers licenses as free that terminate
on patent litigation: [...]

The OSI lists no licences as "free".

 From the FSF's commentary on the Academic Free License at
    Another incompatibility comes from its "Mutual termination for
    Patent Action" clause. Putting aside the difficult question of
    whether this sort of clause is a good idea or a bad one, it is
    incompatible with the GPL.

I'm not convinced that they would consider it the same if the licensed work is patent-afflicted.

And on Apache Software License 2.0:
    We don't think those patent termination cases are inherently a bad
    idea, but nonetheless they are incompatible with the GNU GPL.

The Apache v2.0 is a rather narrower termination than most of the others you cite, which I think is probably free.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep