Re: Patent clauses in licenses

On 2004-09-24 13:37:42 +0100 Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

Computer programs, by their nature, combine both copyrightable and
patentable elements.

Mathematical relationships are discoveries, not inventions. Similarly algorithms: the right one existed, but you just didn't know it. Expressions of algorithms are covered by copyright. There is not necessarily any construction or fabrication, either real or imagined. So computer programs, by their nature, contain no patentable elements under English law.

It is a disgrace that many of our MEPs (Lab, Con and LibDem) voted to change this and that the (commercial!) UK Patent Office are getting directly involved in policy development.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk