Re: Please Join SPI (was Re: The Sky is Not Falling)

Just so. It also isn't just a matter of payment. It would be wonderful if the
Internet and the things that happened on it were not subject to normal human
law but that just isn't the case. Ultimately, everything that Debian does is
done by people and those people are subject to the laws of their nations.

If Debianers try to make the law go away by ignoring it then the inevitable
result will be some tragic miscarriage of justice that Debian is grossly
unprepared for. Cryptography law (BXA) is certainly a major concern.

The fact that SPI is a US corporation is actually a convenience. The United
States has unparralleled resources for making its will felt anywhere in the
world. Solving legal problems here is probably a good first step towards
solving them in many other places. Sad, but true.

(I'm going to continue this kind of conversation on debian-project)

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
Brainfood, Inc.