Re: Debian Linux: Editor for Ancient Languages

On Sunday 14 March 2004, at 17 h 27,
Konstantinos Kopanias <kkopanias@web.de> wrote:

> It allows writing and reading texts in ancient languages (so
> far ancient greek and coptic), and also the sending and receiving of
> Emails written in such languages.

This is certainly very useful but I wonder why not using a generic Unicode
editor like yudit. I assume your program uses Unicode internally so why
writing a program specific to ancient languages?

> html://korais.sourceforge.net

I assume you mean http :-)

> I am wondering if you are interesting in including KORAIS in your Debian
> Linux edition.

Debian works by a volunteer system. Basically, nobody will decide that Korais is packaged in Debian, but the volunteer that will package it. If you find one, great, if not, not even the Debian Project Leader can do something.

To find a volunteer, it would be better to submit a formal RFP (Request For Packaging). See <URL:http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/>, "Adding new entries". Or I can do it on your behalf, after addressing the following problem:

Your application, while free, seems to depend on a non-free Java VM. This would keep it outside of Debian itself. Did you try it with a free Java system? <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/> will give you an idea about the issues.

Good luck.