Re: Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:40:21PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-06 10:45:06 +0000 George Sawyer <georgesawyer2@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Might it be true to generalize so far as to say:
> >Don't talk with us, don't do anything to us, *just* because we're
> >women. (?)
>
> Further generalisation:
>
> Don't do anything to us, just because of what we are.
>
> That has the benefit of being non-sexist and fitting most (all?)
> discrimination.

It's entirely unworkable, however. At some point you have to draw the
line - Debian is founded upon discrimination against non-free things
and against broken code, and by extension, their creators and
users. The NM process is founded upon discrimination against the
stupid and the useless. The US is founded upon discrimination against
the poor. Etcetera.

Somewhere in here lies a subtle but significant difference, and it's
rather tricky to pin down. However, it is necessary to do so, because
both sides of the line are equally bad. Just to make things even more
fun, even once you have a firm grasp of where it lies for the extreme
cases, one will come along which is horribly ambiguous (the welfare
state is one which is frequently debated with no real conclusions).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |