Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:14:04PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-05 15:42:40 +0000 Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
> >You have to realise that "host on another network" is a euphemism for
> >"hostile takeover [by me/us] because I think I could run it better".
>
> asuffield is the lead coder for freenode.

Which is apropos of nothing in particular, I've worked on code for
more projects than I can count, let alone remember.

> Last I heard, freenode does not respect any project decisions: the
> channel management ends up with freenode staff quite easily.

Marginally accurate but very misleading. A project does not implicitly
"own" any channels which are named after it. The free software world
is not founded upon notions of "ownership". Precisely like
Linus Torvalds and RMS have no particular control over what Debian
does, despite the presence of the words "GNU" and "Linux".

> There have been noisy disputes between them and some projects in the
> past.

True for most values of "them". There have been noisy disputes between
Debian and an insanely large number of people.

> Their current web site seems to be quiet about what influence a
> project can have over its channel.

The webside doesn't bother to say how much influence a Belgian can
have over a channel either - why should it?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |