Re: Which cds do i really need...

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 04:13:52PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 12:17:46PM -0800, Colin Gibson wrote:
> > I am interested in downloading debian linux simply to
> > try the operating system out.
> >
> > If possible I would like to download only what is
> > absolutely necessary (as well as a few of the programs
> > to test).
> >
> > Therefore I would like to know which of the cd's would
> > cater for this, if possible.
> >
> > Sometimes some cd's are only extra for other bits and
> > bobs, however, for simply testing the OS these would
> > not be worth the trouble of downloading.
>
> I highly recommend downloading knoppix. It's a quick way to try out
> something that is very close to a Debian system with little fuss. It's a
> liveCD, which means that you can just boot the computer with the CD in
> the drive, and it will load a fully functional system. You'll be able to
> find the iso's linked from www.knoppix.org.

If you want to install Debian however you will have enough whith only
the first cd...  Just follow the link "CD ISO images" from the main
Debbain site (www.debian.org).  Knoppix is very good however, this is
just in case you want to try it as an installed OS.

Cheers,
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom