Re: Various ideas for improving the debian project as a whole

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:46:16AM +0200, Gerber G <ggerber@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> 1) "To measure is to know": Is it possible to provide a web page
> showing more statistical plots about various aspects of the project?
> (e.g. A bar plot of Number of RC-bugs vs Age of RC-bugs; Another page
> could even group the links to RC-bugs having the same age. Or a plot
> of number of serious-bugs vs time). People interested in the
> Debian-project can then very easily interpret the current health/state
> of the project as a whole.

That's something interested people are doing right now to various
degrees. Keeping up with the Debian Weekly News normally leads you to
the gems.

> 2) Motivational: I do not know what type of funds the project has, but
> how about rewarding good package maintainers by implementing a biased
> lottery? The lottery could implement a point system. Each person
> starts of with a number of points. For each RC-bug more than (2
> months?) old a point is subtracted from the maintainer. During the
> lottery everybody is eligible, but those having more points have a
> better probability of winning. The prizes naturally depends on the
> funds available, but could include a new computer or something
> similar. (P.S. The chances of winning something here will be much
> greater than winning the national lottery)

Somebody hashed out the 'kill-a-bug'-game, where interested people would
get a random bug assigned which they'd have to fix (in whatever way)
ASAP, getting scores. That never went into production, though.
Generally, I don't think money is a good incentive for winners, but
rather cool stuff like T-Shirts, swirl-mousepads[1], and travel vouchers
for the next debconf.

> 3) Marketability: Does Debian have a nice cd-label for sarge, that
> could be stuck on a cd? Does it have a design for the software box,
> that contains the cd's? There are probably people who would be willing
> to print these images and package the software in it. (Products are
> unfortunately also judged by the way that they are packaged)

That's something everybody can do and we're very much in need of. We
definetely welcome good pieces of debian-related art, and having
'official' CD-covers would be very nice.

Interested people should take care to license their art under a license
that allows us to distribute it in the spirit of Debian, though.

Michael

[1] I thought that big red[2] swirls on a white background would make
really cool mousepads. Are those avaiable somewhere?
[2] What exact color is our swirl?