Re: MPE ???

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:37:00PM +0100, Michael Green wrote:
> I've just been looking at your website as I'm considering getting and
> implementing a Linux Bases server for our office. And could be
> considering your Linux Operating system.  And I noticed that you have
> some thing Called MPE-Source.
>
> I cant seem to find much information on your website with regards To
> your MPE.

Here's the package's control record:

Package: mpe-source
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 5776
Maintainer: Adam C. Powell, IV <hazelsct@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: mpich
Version: 1.2.5-5
Filename: pool/main/m/mpich/mpe-source_1.2.5-5_all.deb
Size: 5862290
MD5sum: 5fd2d55e5335fda75520c2ca741d78f9
 This package includes the source to MPE, so that
 other package can build MPE Build-depending in this package.
 .
 MPE is a set of tools to profile MPI (Message Passing Interface) programs,
 and other tools, useful in debugging MPI applications.

It doesn't sound like this is related to HP's MPE/ix, sorry.

> As you may or may not be aware HP is obsolescing MPE/ix this there
> Proprietary Operating System, For the Entire HP3000 Platform. And I
> was wondering if your MPE-source was the actual Source to HP's MPE/ix
> operating system from one of their versions even the 7.5 incarnation.

We wouldn't include a proprietary system in our main distribution, since
that consists entirely of free software; although I haven't looked at
it, it's unlikely that we'd even get permission to distribute a
proprietary operating system in non-free. Perhaps HP themselves would be
the best people to ask about this?

Cheers,