Books

I wish to switch to Debian Linux to learn about computers, programming and of course Linux itself. As a seaman I am on my own with no internet access for long periods of time so books (and head scratching)are what I rely on. I have yet to see any publications that deal with "Woody" yet so I ask ; How useful would any previous version books be and if usable do you have any you might prefer? I'm running Red Hat right now and while it works, there is something philosophical pulling me your way.
Sorry to bother but I sure thank you for anything you can offer.

Thanks
Jesse H. Lyman
Flat Rock Mi. USA