problem USB

I have a problem with debian3 and that is, that I want a desktop environment
where USB keyboard & mouse,
soundblaster Live, Geforce3 hardware acceleration all work And doing this
seems to be a mission.
especially USB keyboard & mouse. the install kernel is lame and changing
kernels and insterting the right modules
seems to always end up with me being able to get into X, which I wish it
didn't, but then not having keyboard or mouse input so ? linux finds the USB
devices but doesn't use them this is weird to me. ?