How do I use dpkg without superuser privileges?

I've been trying to de-deb a .deb file without root
permission. I just want to unwrap the file like a tar
file. I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL IT. I just want to
UNPACK it like i might a TAR file.

Unfortunately, dpkg --unpack complains about root
access just as --install does. BOO!

I just want the thing unrolled, that's it.

How do I do this? Help page turns up nothing.

Thanks!

-mark

PS Spammers...just because I post a question to a
mailing list doesn't mean that I want my p*e*n*i*s
enlarged. But if you want to bomb me with such offers,
knock yourself out...hopefully I'll be able to read
the actual responses between the offers :)