Re: Skolelinux and the "Debian Labs" idea

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:58:22PM +0000, Dylan Thurston wrote:
> >> non-free/proprietary stuff, better not. =20
> > Even stuff packaged in non-free? How about stuff they maintain in
> > non-free?
> non-free is not part of Debian.

Mmm, slogans. Given that...

> >> Unpackaged/LSB, I think so, yeah.
> > How about unpackaged stuff that they think's free, but debian-legal
> > doesn't?
> It would be unusual if debian-legal had actually taken a look at it?
> On this issue, I think a small amount of things like this would be OK,
> but too much would be bad.

...you think that stuff that's not even supported by Debian is okay,
why do you think that having Debian Labs people even occassionally
providing software that's "not part of Debian" is an isue?

(If you really want to mindlessly trade slogans, then how about "although
non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we support its use" ? Why
is it a good idea for Debian Labs people to not abide by all of the
social contract?)

> > There are tax implications here [1]. The money goes:
> > 	donator * -> SPI * -> Lab -> employee *
> > 	                          -> expenses
> > 	                          -> profits *
> > with each "*" representing a point at which the government could end up
> > taking a cut. SPI being a tax-exempt non-profit allows the first to *'s to
> > disappear, if the appropriate rules are followed. ...
> Could somebody with a better understanding of the law help here?
> (Maybe that's you, aj, I'm just not sure.)

Note the .au in my email address. I don't have a lot of idea about
US law.  .au law is that you can't make donations for work on Debian
tax deductible.

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda