Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

> Now perhaps I picked DFSG 8 incorrectly.  But do you not see how
> onerous this restriction is?

No, I don't.  Your scenario seems completely manufactured.

When you look at the logo as its own work, and apply the the DFSG
rules, it may run afoul of the letter of the DFSG, but not the
spirit.

However, if you look at the logo as a component of Debian as a whole,
and consider derived works of the logo to be derived works of Debian,
and invoke the exception of clause 4 to allow Debian to require derived
works to carry a diffent name (and by extension, logo), then it fits
even the letter of the DFSG.

The spirit of the clause 4 exception is to allow works to maintain
their identity as a product of the original author without hindering
the freedom of users.  Names, trademarks, and logos should not be
covered by the same set of rules as the rest of the software and this
is what the DFSG-4 clause is trying to acknowledge.

If you still do not agree to this, then I think what needs to change
is not the Debian logo license, but the DFSG itself to make this
explicitly clear.

I don't think it benefits anyone to allow use of the Debian logo
to refer to not-even-tangentially-Debian things.

Eric