Re: Secure APT (was: Re: New Maintainers)

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:17:29AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:53:39PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > >
> > > Has the patch been integrated into CVS?  I think so (but the bug
> > > report doesn't say so explicitly).
> >
> > No, it hasn't, because I'm trying to get a new apt into testing, and
> > introducing a lot of new code like this usually doesn't help.  I was
> > hoping to have a new apt safely in testing by now, and to be able to
> > put this into unstable and start getting testing for it, but since
> > glibc and gcc-3.3 held up apt's progress into testing for so long,
> > this has been problematic.
>
> If the code is otherwise ready, you could drop it into experimental.
> This is probably the best approach if you think it could be ready for
> sarge.

I really don't think it could be ready for sarge.  I am moving cross-country
starting next week, and so will not be around to handle problems that arise,
even if a sufficient number of people try the package from experimental.
It'd be nice if someone else wanted to step up to help with that; as I
recall, you said you wouldn't be able to do much in the near future.

I've recorded my ideas about the current status of things in the BTS
(#203741).  I've added a default keyring to the mix, so the upgrade path is
smooth.  It needs a couple of small things, but I think it's ready for much
broader testing.  I've been keeping it in sync with the other changes I've
made to apt recently.

--
 - mdz