New Maintainers

This is a summary of the AM Report for Week Ending 07 Sep 2003.
11 applicants became maintainers.

Juan Alvarez <jalvarez@debian.org>

  Juan has been using Debian for 3 years, after switching over
  from Slackware. He enjoys the free software model as it gives
  him many opportunities and he likes to contribute to this
  model. He likes FreeBSD and OpenBSD too, but these are free
  software with a semi cathedral model, and he likes the bazaar!

  He has studied Systems Engineering and Computer Science.

  He has worked as a Linux system administrator (from January
  2000 to June 2000) at Ada Sistemas Computadores, and later
  joined an ISP named GeoNet (www.geo.net.co). He has worked
  there for a year as a Linux/OpenBSD system administrator and
  web developer in PHP and J2EE technologies (July 2000 to May
  2001). He has also established a company to support free
  software in the education field.

  He lives in Envigado, near Medellin, capital of Antioquia,
  which he believes is the best department of Colombia.

  He is also interested in the Hurd.

  Juan maintains ipsc, prips, and is a co-maintainer of
  valgrind.

Tore Anderson <tore@debian.org>

  Tore is a 21 year old living in Oslo, Norway. He works for
  linpro, where he does system administration work.

  He has been using Debian for a few years now, and wanted to
  give back to the community. He wants to make contributions
  that other people will find useful, even if they are not
  major or revolutionary.

  Tore maintains ahcd, beneath-a-steel-sky, lrrd, lvs-kiss,
  scummvm, and xfonts-ay.

Sam Clegg <samo@debian.org>

  Sam maintains xmms-sad.

Juan Manuel Garcia Molina <juanma@debian.org>

  Juan Manuel maintains cdlabelgen, facturalux, gkrellm-snmp,
  gkrellmitime, pose, and pose-skins.

Robert Jordens <jordens@debian.org>

  I'm 20 years old and living in Zürich, Switzerland.

  My experience with Linux resp. Debian started in 1997 at my
  school in Bonn, Germany (Collegium Josephinum Bonn,
  http://cojobo.bonn.de) when I got in touch with the network
  there. I became an admin in 1999 and took care of the
  different servers: the standard success story of Linux. I
  graduated in June.

  Through my school I got in contact with ID-PRO, a then
  prospering Linux-company. I started SchmaL, a project to
  bring German schools and students together to propagate Linux.
  The project had a very promising start but then died with
  ID-PROs unfortunate financial death in the recent "burst of
  the internet-bubble".

  Now I'm studying physics at the ETH here in Zürich. I'm using
  Debian very intensively with my own computers and now want to
  spend my spare time doing something productive. I think
  developing for Debian is the right thing to do, apart from
  the cool email address. ;-]

  Robert maintains aconnectgui, alsamixergui, ardour, gnuift,
  jamin, libgtk-canvas, liblrdf, libtunepimp, remstats, and
  xmms-ladspa

Sebastian Ley <ley@debian.org>

  My name is Sebastian Ley and I am a 25 year old student of
  computer science from Aachen, Germany. I use Linux as my
  operating system for three years now, and chose debian,
  because it offered me what I was  missing from other OSes or
  Linux Distributions: A transparent view of my computer from
  the top to the bottom.

  While using the huge pile of software I did not have to pay a
  penny for, I naturally found bugs or wished that the software
  behaved different. After digging deeper in some details, I
  found out how much work it is to create and maintain all
  these programs. I also found out that participation is not
  too difficult and that it is a great way to give something
  back to the community while at the same time improving the
  software I use everyday.

  My first idea was to support the debian-desktop project. From
  there I got to the debian-installer people where I currently
  try to help. I focused on the gtk-frontend for cdebconf
  which proceeds nicely. Furthermore I help them with filing
  bugs or help hunting them.

  Sebastian maintains wmcliphist

Francois Marier <francois@debian.org>

  Francois is a computer science student at the University of
  Waterloo in Canada. He has been following the free software
  movement for the past 4-5 years. While he has been mostly
  helping others with installation issues for Debian, he also
  spent time promoting the free software movement. He wants
  to be more actively involved in debian by maintaining a few
  packages. He also has written some utilities himself which
  he wants to debianize later on.

  Francois maintains dopewars and propaganda-debian

Jack Moffitt <jack@debian.org>

  I was using Linux in college and with a friend decided to
  write Icecast, a streaming media server.  We decided to make
  it open source because it seemed like a fun thing to do.
  After the success of that project, I was hooked on open source
  forever.  I've been using Linux for about 6-7 years, and for
  about the last 3 years, pretty much exclusively.  I switched
  to Debian a few years back, and fell in love with apt and
  dpkg.

  I am involved in several free software projects.  Most
  notably, I help run Xiph.org which produces open multimedia
  standards and implementations (such as Ogg Vorbis, Icecast,
  and others).  I'm also involved with initd.org where I help
  write Eva (a new versioning system), and I have submitted
  patches and help to a number of other projects over the
  years.

  I would like to help Debian in several ways.  First, I have
  packaged ipython which is already in Debian, and I hope to
  help package more new things.  I'm sure that several of
  these will be future Xiph.org tools.  I will also assist Tor
  and Ralph in packaging Ghostscript which I am also quite
  involved with.  Secondly, I hope to get more involved with
  Debian in general, having been just a user for a number of
  years.  I plan to get more active in testing and bug
  reporting, and I will probably pick up an orphaned package or
  two as time goes on.  I already thought about picking up
  gadfly, but it seemed that someone already adopted it.  I've
  already been helping to bring the old icecast packages in
  Debian into compliance, and just had a new icecast-client
  package uploaded by my sponsor a few weeks ago.

  Jack maintains ipython and positron

Arnaud Quette <aquette@debian.org>

  Linux user for 7 years now, I'm a Unix lover and found
  GNU/Linux was really what I was seeking : powerful, reliable,
  cute, and most of all FREE... thus perfect (or nearby ;-)

  I've made a step in the community in 1998 by becoming member
  of the desk of Guilde (French LUG (www.guilde.asso.fr) with
  some members like Daniel Veillard from the Gnome Foundation
  and Gnumeric) and organising small expositions (max 800
  visitors) and other events...

  In June 2001, I've been offered a great professional (and
  personal) opportunity : becoming responsible of Unix/Linux
  developments for MGE UPS SYSTEMS (www.mgeups.com). Having a
  look at UPS management under Linux, I found a great lack,
  except a GPL project really promising : Network UPS Tools
  (www.exploits.org/nut). I qualify it as "NUT is to UPS what
  SANE is to scanners : a must" ;-)

  Finally, I'm the author of a client dockapp for NUT
  (wmnut.tuxfamily.org) already debianized by Luca Filipozzi ;
  and also author of a Gnome applet for NUT (Nutstat applet).
  I've not yet released this last as I've just finished it, and
  just started debianization. I've also some more projects in
  the foundry ;-) Of course, all that work is GPLed which
  guarantee that all my work will benefits to everyone.

  Arnaud maintains knutclient, wmnut and co-maintains nut.

Jens Peter Secher <jps@debian.org>

  Jens is a postdoc in Computer Science at the University of
  Copenhagen (DIKU). He is also the upstream of cmix.

  Jens Peter maintains changetrack, ifile, libfile-ncopy-perl,
  and sml-mode.

Roland Stigge <stigge@debian.org>

  Computers came into my life 15 years ago. In 1998, Debian became my
  first Debian distribution. Since I installed it completely over a
  telephone line (!), inbetween I also used the common commercial "CD
  distros" of the known vendors. But after fiddling around with the
  different techniques and philosophies of the distributions I completely
  got back and run Debian on 7 machines at home now. From 2000 to 2001 I
  worked at a transatlantic biotechnology corporation in Berlin
  administrating 10 servers and over 50 Linux (computer scientist's) boxes
  all running potato and woody. Currently I'm studying Computer Science at
  Humboldt University in Berlin.

  More related to Debian, I intend to be a good packager. Although I was
  thinking that it's a good idea to "support" the unofficial integration
  of non-DFSG-compliant software (contrib and non-free) in order to help
  people with the transition to completely free systems in the sense of
  DFSG, one of the things of Debian I like most is the unrivaled
  materialization it embodies by working towards a completely free
  operating system.

Thanks to Pascal Hakim for compiling this listing.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com