[Proposal]Debconf 4 in Brazil

Hello, all,

As some of you have already heard, the Brazilian Debian community
would like to host the next Debconf in Porto Alegre[1], Brazil.

As Mako mentioned[2], Brazil has been extremely active in the Free
Software movement but very unrepresented at the past Debian
conferences. The Real (Brazilian currency) is weak compared to USD and
EUR which makes travel in Brazil from these places affordable but
travel from Brazil to Europe or North America extremely difficult.

There already is a good deal of planning to have the conference some
days before or after the Forum Internacional de Software Livre[3], so,
that Debian developers can join us at this event.

It's likely that devels can make a talk at FISL and get some
sponsorship that way as well. I already know that the Forum is
interested upon bringing Bruce Perens, for instance.

We already have full support from the Porto Alegre data processing
company (Procempa) and the city hall (through its international
relations secretary). They will provide us with free (or low-cost)
food and free hosting.

About fly prices, I did some research to have some early idea:

Amsterdam - Porto Alegre - Amsterdan: 772.00 EUR
Frankfurt - Porto Alegre - Frankfurt: 855.00 EUR
London - Porto Alegre - Londres: 647.00 GBP
Madri - Porto Alegre - Madri: 998.00 EUR
Milan - Porto Alegre - Milão: 817.00 EUR
Paris - Porto Alegre - Paris: 641.00 EUR
Toronto - Porto Alegre - Toronto: 1960.00 CAD
Oslo - Porto Alegre - Oslo (connection in Paris): 8220 NOK = USD 1148.00
NY - Porto Alegre - Nova Iorque: 750.00 USD
Seattle - Porto Alegre - Seatle: 830.00 USD

Varig[4] can give some deductions or free tickets if people buy a great number
of tickets together.

To have a basic idea about what prices in Brazil are like:
Newspaper                        0.50 USD
1l milk                          0.50 USD
1.5l soft drink (coke, etc)      0.70 USD
Big Mac (#1 Combo)               3.00 USD
Bus                              0.50 USD
A Brazilian soccer t-shirt      20.00 USD
A great dinner                  10.00 USD
Movie theater                    4.50 USD

We also have an active mailing list to discuss our plans. That has been
going on since Debconf3: debconf4@listas.cipsga.org.br. Please, fell free to
join us and tell what you think.

1. About Porto Alegre: http://www.uoregon.edu/~sergiok/brasil/portoalegre.html
2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200308/msg00310.html