Re: spam sent to debian.org addresses

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 22:50, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:50:43PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > What's wrong with our mail system? Why can't the debian admins blacklist
> > a well known spammer, or even better use a reputable DNSBL like SBL?
> > I asked the same questions to the debian admins but nobody ever replied,
> > I'm sick of receiving every few days the same spam from the same
> > professional spammer which could be trivially filtered.
>
> If it can be so trivially filtered, just filter it on your end and forget
> about it.

A big part of the spam can be trivially blocked at the point where it enters
the Debian servers, using DNSRBLs and other sensible restrictions. When it
enters my mailer, it can not be trivially blocked as it comes from
murphy.debian.org which is a mail server I want to accept mail from.

Note that I have no problem with the spam coming through the Debian list, they
get tagged by spamassassin and moved into my spam folder where they get
spamcopped. But nevertheless, Debian and the pgp-keyserver-folk mailing lists
produce the majority of the spam I get on my system. Spam delivered directly
to me mostly does not come through these days.

Note also that I know that I can afford to block very aggressively because
it's my personal mailserver with only few users while the Debian mailserver
can't block that aggressively (like, blocking on the whole of China and Korea
is probably not a good idea...).

cheers
-- vbi

--
pub  1024D/92082481 2002-02-22 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder -at- fortytwo.ch>
     Key fingerprint = EFE3 96F4 18F5 8D65 8494  28FC 1438 5168 9208 2481