Re: Why are these packages in Debian?

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:20:44PM +0200, Nikos <nikos@altern.org> was heard to say:

  [snip]

> > in this case it's the King James Bible, which is a
> > very useful text for a large number of people (it is, after all, the
> > most widely read book in the world).
>
> You're right, although this book is not a reference for me and my spiritual
> life, it is one of the basis of our civilisation, and a model for many
> people. The problem is not here. The problem is that I don't understand why
> this religion is privileged to others, and especially why it is in a
> operating system. Please consult my answer to Richard Braakman for more
> informations about my point of view on this question.

  It's "privileged" because:

  (a) Someone wrote a computer program to search it,
  (b) Somone packaged it for Debian.

  If you feel offended because your favorite religion's holy text isn't
in there, send an RFP for an electronic version of it to the Debian BTS.
It would be nice if the electronic version includes specialized tools to
access and search the text, but that's not required.

> > they are debated about in
> > -devel during an ITP as to whether or not they are truly useful. If
> > they're both Free and useful, they are allowed in
>
> I precisely think that they aren't useful to an operating system...

  There goes all of section "games" then.

  Daniel

|                       Gil-Galad was an Elven king;                          |
|                       of him the harpers sadly sing.                        |
\------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/