Re: Knoppix and root acces

ke, 19-02-2003 kello 11:50, Egge Siegers kirjoitti:
> but what troubles me is that with the cdrom you can enter every file on
> my debian installation (also all my root files) without passwords
> Just start knoppix, then start programm, knoppix, root shell. In the
> console I go to /mnt/hda3 en to root. I can see and do everything
> whithout any password.

Yes, that is true: with a root account you can read any file on a
Unix-like system. It's quite built in. It doesn't matter whether you
have booted from the hard disk or a cd-rom: as long as you're root, you
can read anything.

To prevent someone from reading all your files using a Knoppix cd, or a
Debian rescue disk, you need to make your computer hardware physically
safe, by preventing other people from getting near it; depending on your
required level of safety this can mean putting the computer in a closet,
putting a lock on the cd and floppy drives, putting the computer in a
locked room, or hiring armed guards. It can help to configure your
computer to boot from the hard disk only, and put passwords into BIOS
and your boot loader (lilo, grub) to prevent alternate methods of
booting by outsiders.