Re: Why does it work?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Steven Homolya wrote:

> Sorry if this is an inappropriate message for this address, but it was
> the only Debian-feedback address I could find w/o joining a mailing
> list.

It seems as a good choice to me - unless you want to file bugreports about
all the "issues" ;-)

> I have recently switched from Red Hat (7.3, then 8.0, then 7.2) to
> Debian, and apart from non-qt menu/dialog font size problems, which I
> have yet to resolve ( all fonts are too big, ~14pt menus, in non-qt
> apps., despite:  changing the default-resolutions line in
> /etc/X11/fs/config to 75,75,75,75;  and trying every other suggestion I
> could find), I have the following questions:

Do you start X manually or through GDM or another desktop manager?

Have a look at /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

Or do the following for possible other places to hack:

# cd /etc; grep -r -- '-dpi' *

> Why the hell is my PC almost twice as fast at running the same apps.
> under Debian as it was under Red Hat 7.* or 8.0?

Thanks :-)

 - Jonas

--
Debian GNU/Linux developer     http://www.debian.org/