Re: Debian as a social group and how to develop it better

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote:

> > Debian packages tend to be more true to the original source than those of
> > other large distributions.
>
> This is why I said no one should have the right to do this.  There needs to be
> a rigid air-traffic control system, just as there is on any major airport.
> If you want to change course, you have to get permission first, not after you
> have already crashed!

Sorry, but that simply doesn't work. It might in a perfect world but we
are _far_ from that.

Upstream loses interest in their work but bugs need to get fixes still.
Sometimes upstream has /interesting/ ideas about where files should be
(like everything below /var/MTA/ or something like that). This violates
every idea of a normal Unix system tree - we fix this if possible. There
are several other good reasons for distributions overriding upstream.

_PLEASE_ get some experience before you tell us we've been wrong since
forever. What you're doing now is only demonstrating that you've never
ever maintained a system with even slightly special needs. (This is by
no means intended as an offence).

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal