Re: I am confused ?????

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 05:43, Ricardo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am new to Debian and i was wondering how is it that Debian release kernels are always far behind those from kernel.org...
>
> For instance, right now for 2.2r7 the kernel is 2.2.19 and th e latest kernel is  2.4.18
>
> Why is that.... It is also the same thing for Xfree86 versions of Debian...

It is because we are more concerned with being reliable than being up to
date.

The new release of Debian (codenamed "woody") is in fact ready, but is
waiting for the security team to have reliable procedures for
automatically updating 11 architectures at once.  As soon as that is in
place, woody will become the new stable release (Debian 3.0).  If you
want to, you can move to it now by changing /etc/apt/sources.list to
point to testing (i.e., woody) instead of stable and doing

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

That will not sutomatically replace the kernel (in any case, some people
still distrust 2.4.x) nor X, but the new packages will be available to
apt.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver