Re: Debian as a social group and how to develop it better

On Monday 2002 December 02 11:11, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote:
> > > >
> >                                                Am I correct that Linus is
> > the only one who approves of the changes to the kernel?
>
> No. Different people handle different branches. And then there are even
> more semi- and un- official versions distributed from ftp.kernel.org and
> other places.

Thank you!  I misunderstood this.  Somehow I thought Linus made the final
decision(s) on the kernel.  Thank you for the clarification!

> Also be aware that one cannot build _the_ binary image which works in
> all possible scenarios. There are reasons to build things differently.

Is this only due to architectures?  I am primarily concerned about changes
made to software running on the same architectural-platform.  I realize that
there is and must be a tree which conforms to these differences.  But I just
want to know how much duplication can be avoided on every branch of the tree?
How much is necessity, and how much is 'different for the sake of being
different'?