Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

 Colin> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:03:46AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
 >> Ian Maclaine-cross <iml@debian.org> writes:
 >> > I am a user of many non-free Debian packages and a maintainer of
 >> > one, tth.  In an ideal world all non-free software would have free
 >> > equivalents and there would be no need for non-free.  Debian subjects
 >> > non-free packages to two restrictions:

 >> There are no non-free Debian packages, because non-free packages are
 >> not part of Debian.  We happen to provide a place for them on the
 >> servers, that's all.

 Colin> "Debian packages" are .debs. Non-free .debs are still .debs. They may
 Colin> not be part of the Debian distribution, but your assertion implies that
 Colin> third-party .debs (free or otherwise) are not Debian packages; I don't
 Colin> think that's true.

	In the context of the original post, the crucial part is not
 that the software happened to be in the debian binary file format
 (debian package, if you will), but that it was a package that the
 Debian project  manages (Debian package, as it were)

	There are no non free Debian packages. There may be all kinds
 of third party packages that follow debian policy, to some extent,
 and in the debian binary file format, but that is not germane to the
 issue at hand.

 Colin> (Let's please have this argument on -project if you wish to
 Colin> continue it.  -devel is a technical list.)

	Sure.

	manoj
--
 Out of sight is out of mind. Arthur Clough