Re: debian cd-image mirrors and US export restrictions

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:32:15PM +0100, Harald K. wrote:
> In contrast to the package servers, the debian cd image mirrors are
> not separated according to this circumstances. Also the ones located
> in the US are containing the non-us variant of the first iso
> image. I dont understand why the US exports regulations seems to
> have no influence on the distributing of the cd images, which
> contain US sensitive software packages.  If anyone has an idea on
> this topic, I would be gratefull for any remark.

Dear Harald,
	Since last year, the US export restrictions have been lifted
to an extent that we can now distribute cryptography programs from
within the US (though legally, we're not supposed to let members of
the 'axis that Bush hates' download them).

The full legal details are in
<http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain>

	non-US is still around because some maintainers haven't
updated their packages to reflect these changes in the law. If you
haven't noticed non-US/main in unstable is getting smaller and smaller
and it will eventually disappear unless:

1. The Bush administration revives those stupid unenforcable laws.
2. Debian starts to distribute programs that are illegal under the
   DMCA (eg. DeCSS). Personally, I don't know what progess debian-legal
   has made with that issue.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew 'Netsnipe' Lau                   Computer Science & Sturep, UNSW *
*   "apt-get into it"                        Debian GNU/Linux Packager    *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *