Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

 Anthony> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 09:02:24PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 Adam> We(Wichert and I) implement features that users want, when we
 Adam> have time.  We implement those that are interesting to us when
 Adam> we have free time.  I don't think either one of us would feel
 Adam> comfortable being led by another group.
 >> Strawman. The policy group shall never propose additions to
 >> dpkg functionality, the way the section shalll be formulated. What
 >> shall be in the section is what the maintainers _must_ have in order
 >> for their packages to be built.

 Anthony> That statement's a bit ambiguous.

 Anthony> The real question is whether maintainers are meant to build
 Anthony> using the features of dpkg, or the ones listed in

	*Sigh*. Let me see if I can dot the i's and cross the t's. A
 package should be buildable using the bits mentioned in policy. Any
 package may, however, choose to add any extra bits added by dpkg,
 (perhaps buigld depending on a new dpjg version if the change is not
 compatible with older versions).

 Anthony> debian-policy. The former makes sense and works; the latter
 Anthony> means that any new features in dpkg have to go through the
 Anthony> hurdle of debian-policy for no good reason.

	No, it does not, unless we are being stupid.

	{arguments to ossify the status quo deleted]

	manoj
--
 Being a miner, as soon as you're too old and tired and sick and
 stupid to do your job properly, you have to go, where the very