Re: Win modems

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 06:27:05PM +0000, Alexander Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2001 10:49:20 -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > I wanted to inquire on if Debian is going to include Win Modem support?

> > The question should really be: does anyone in the Debian project feel
> > like supporting WinModems?  My *personal* take on the matter is that
> > WinModems impose too much of a performance penalty on CPUs, and I
> > would never use one, which would make it difficult for me to support.

> Are not there some built into some laptops like Acer and
> what not? What about those builtin- ones? Lucent Winmodem it
> says with Winblows. What am I to do?

I don't know what you're to do, but what *I* did under almost
identical circumstances was to simply ignore the presence of the
winmodem, and attach an external modem to the serial port.  This had a
secondary advantage, as I was able to use a wireless modem (ricochet),
and have my Internet connection as portable as my computer.  (At least
in areas covered by Ricochet.)

However, the Debian project runs on volunteers.  If you'd like to
volunteer to add and maintainer WinModem support, I'm sure no one will
stop you (as long as you observe any applicable licenses).  I was
simply explaining why *I* wouldn't bother to do such a thing.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single