Re: Hard Disk Access under Linux

debian-project is a list for "Non-technical project-related discussions". A
more appropriate place for your question is the debian-user mailing list.

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 14:42:45 +0100, ASTLE Neal wrote:
> Does Linux in general access the hard disk drive via the PC's BIOS or via
> the Hard Disk Drive Controller

It is my understanding that Linux uses the PC's BIOS as little as possible
(mostly as a means of gathering information about the system) and resorts to
using BIOS functions only if no reasonable alternative exists. I'm pretty
sure hard disk access is done without resorting to the BIOS.

> The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is
> intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
> any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be
> unlawful.

Including this type of disclaimer in postings to a publically accessible
mailing list is a waste of bandwith space. See
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/disclaimer .

HTH,
Ray
--
RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may  not be a better one than the one
the blocks  live in but it'll be a sight more vivid.