Re: Reiserfs and Debian

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 08:40:04PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 13:35:27 -0500, Jeffrey Kornuta wrote:
> > is it possible to use the Reiserfs file system on Debian potato?
>
> Yes, though it may not particularly easy to set up.
>
> One way to do it is to install a minimal potato system on a small partition
> (which you can later reuse as the swap partition), connect that to the net,
> update with the packages from
> 	http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html
> (including reiserfstools), build a 2.4 kernel for it, boot that, then
> mkreiserfs the regular partition(s) and clone the system onto that (using
> cpio, tar or cp), then change its fstab and reconfigure your bootloader.
>
> Another way is to get a set of potato bootfloppies modified to support an
> install onto reiserfs partitions; see
> 	http://freshmeat.net/search/?site=Freshmeat&q=potato+reiserfs&section=projects
>
> HTH,
> Ray

An easier method is to do what I've just done which is to upgrade to 2.4.9 (which
doesn't build properly anyway - try compiling your own gcc if the compile dies),
and then use ext3.
(Of course remember to patch your kernel source first with the patches at
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3 before compiling).

Then, simply do a tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX and update /etc/fstab to ext3 and then
remount. Suddenly an ext2 filesystem has become ext3! Wonderful!

HTH

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.