Re: Information

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 03:00:18PM -0700, "Young, Guy" <gyoung@ball.com> was heard to say:
> I am computer science major at Regis University currently taking an
> operating system class. I have a project do either an a operating system or
> comparing operating systems. I was curious if you could send me some
> information on the nuts and bolts of how debian works.

  Hello,

  Released versions of Debian use the Linux kernel; the full source to this
kernel is available from ftp.kernel.org or from its mirrors.  Technical
documentation (aside from that in Documentation/) used to be findable on
the Web; I can't seem to find anything other than very basic user
documentation any more.  There are, however, a number of paper references
such as "Linux Kernel Internals" that are carried at least by our
university bookstore (or were at one point, I haven't looked recently).
These probably refer to old versions of the kernel, but many of the
principles still apply.  You could also get any book about standard UNIX
kernels, as Linux is quite similar to them in many ways.

  There is also an unreleased version of Debian using the experimental
Hurd kernel/microkernel.  See http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd for more
information and links.

  Daniel

|         Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.          |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/