Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>    Programs which use patented algorithms that have a restrictied
>    license also need to be stored on "non-us", since that is located
>    in a country where it is not allowed to patent algorithms.

Any examples of such countries?

> If this proposal gets accept it means Debian also shoud:
> * notify the US government that we have a FTP site that distributes
>   crypto software.
> * add a legal welcome message to our FTP site that informs people
>   about the regulations regarding crypto software. This also means
>   we will not be consciously exporting crypto to the 7 blacklisted
>   countries

* Tell all the FTP mirrors of non-US that must of them are no longer
  allowed to ship non-US (e.g. ftp.de.debian.org is located in Germany
  where it's not 100% forbidden to patent algorithms).

> Wichert.

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi