Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:51:03 -0800, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> In light of this I'm proposing to change section 2.1.5 of the Debian
> policy to say:

Yes! IMHO it's definitely time to make it possible for packages in the
regular main archive to support crypto (mozilla, w3m, lynx, links,
kernel-image, telnet, ...).

>      Programs which use patented algorithms that have a restrictied
>      license also need to be stored on "non-us", since that is location
>      on a site where it is not allowed to patent algorithms.

Perhaps it's better to change its name to reflect this? The current location
is in a country where software patents aren't an issue so far, but that
country is part of a union where there are regular attempts to introduce
legislation / patent office rule changes to allow software patents.
Software patents are by no means a US-only problem.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would