Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:12:52PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Copyright law does not extend so far; contracts in general are not
> > copyrightable.
>
> Please notice that what I posted was the copyright notice of the GPL.  Are
> you saying that the header of the GPL is invalid?  Where a part of a
> statement is proven wrong, the rest must be suspect, so why are we having
> this discussion if the GPL itself may be invalid?

You are confusing the contract within the GPL (the license) with the rest of
the GPL, the preamble and the footer. Everything before the first ^L and
after the last ^L to be precise.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de