Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Brian Mays <brian@debian.org> writes:

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > So I'm pretty sure, despite my immediately previous messages, that we
> > must distribute the GPL in the actual .deb of the relevant package.
> > However, nothing compels us to *install* that in any way.
>
> Then what is the point?
>
> Why even bother to include the license if it is embedded in the file and
> we don't do anything with it?

Because the GPL requires us to distribute it.  That would be the
reason.

And, for example, the suggestion was raised to allow dpkg to have many
packages all own the relevant file in /usr/doc/copyright, and use
hardlinks to avoid wastage of disk space.

> Obviously, the GPL wants the recipient of the software to have a copy of
> the license for a reason.  Now, who is going to argue that Debian has
> not gone out of its way to champion the cause for free software?

Nobody is challenging Debian's motives.  ;)